In the bustling market of Lalgudi, where the river Kollidam flowed not far away and the scent of spices mingled with the sweetness of jasmine, the cloth merchant Sundar sat outside his small shop one afternoon looking rather stretched. He had taken on extra orders, new varieties of fabric, a side arrangement with a neighbouring trader, and even a small role in the market committee—yet none of these efforts seemed to be producing any clear result.
Krishnan, the retired postmaster, happened to pass by on his slow walk and paused beside the shop.
“You appear to be carrying more baskets than necessary,” Krishnan observed mildly.
Sundar sighed. “I keep asking myself why I do not simply do fewer things. There is this fear of putting all my eggs in one basket. I lack full conviction in any single effort, so I try to mitigate the risk by doing many things at once. In the end I spread myself so thin that nothing makes a real impact.”
He continued, a little embarrassed.
“There is also the fear of missing out. I worry that if I narrow my focus I may miss some opportunity or gathering that others are enjoying. And then there is the pull of social proof—the habit of copying what everyone else is doing so that I do not look like the odd man out. I want conformity. I do not wish to endure the discomfort of standing apart. Yet I am beginning to see that excellence often means enduring the right kind of pain.”
Krishnan nodded slowly and smiled his quiet smile.
“When a man lacks deep conviction in one clear direction,” he said, “he tries to protect himself by scattering his efforts. The result is usually a collection of half-finished works that touch nothing deeply. The fear of missing out and the wish to blend with the crowd keep him busy, but rarely effective. Doing fewer things requires the courage to choose, to stand a little apart, and to bear the temporary unease that comes with focus. That unease is often the right pain—the kind that leads to something substantial rather than to many things that remain shallow.”
Sundar sat quietly, watching the familiar movement of the market. The many small commitments he had taken on suddenly felt heavier, while the idea of choosing one or two things and doing them thoroughly felt both simpler and more demanding.
“So the safer-looking path of many activities may actually be the riskier one?” he asked.
“Often,” replied Krishnan. “Fewer things, done with full attention and conviction, usually leave a clearer mark.”
A soft breeze moved through the market lanes. Krishnan raised a hand in farewell and continued his walk.
That evening, as Sundar closed his shop, he looked at his list of commitments and began, slowly, to cross out the ones that scattered his energy. And in the gentle, unassuming way of Lalgudi, where even the quiet struggle between focus and distraction arrives between the cloth bolts and the weighing scales, Sundar started to experiment with doing less—so that what remained might finally begin to matter.