Search This Blog

Joy is the only technique!

 In the quiet town of Lalgudi, on Kabilan Street, lived an elderly man named Srinivas who had once been a clerk in the municipal office. He had retired many years ago and now spent his days sitting on the veranda of his small house, watching the street with the patient air of one who expected nothing particular to happen.

One morning a young man arrived at his gate carrying a small bundle and a notebook. He introduced himself as Gopal, the son of Srinivas’s distant cousin from the next district. “I have come to learn the art of writing stories,” Gopal said, standing stiffly. “People say you used to write a little in your younger days. I have studied all the books on style and composition. I know the rules. But somehow the stories do not come.”

Srinivas looked at the young man for a long moment. Then he pointed to the low wooden bench beside him. “Sit,” he said.

Gopal sat and opened his notebook at once, pencil ready.

“What will you write about?” Srinivas asked.

“I do not know yet. First I must perfect the technique. The length of sentences, the balance of paragraphs, the proper use of dialogue. Once the technique is firm, the story will follow.”

Srinivas smiled the slow smile of a man who had seen many such notebooks. He did not speak for a while. A vendor passed along the street calling out the price of bananas. Two schoolboys quarrelled over a marble. A crow settled on the compound wall and regarded them both with suspicion.

“Do you hear that crow?” Srinivas asked at last.

Gopal looked up, surprised. “Yes.”

“Does it study the art of cawing before it opens its beak?”

Gopal said nothing.

Srinivas continued in the same mild tone. “When I was young I also tried to write. I bought books that told me how a sentence should rise and fall. I practised openings and endings. Nothing came of it. Then one day my neighbour’s cow wandered into our backyard and refused to leave. We tried everything—shouting, pulling, offering grass. The cow simply stood there chewing. In the end my wife brought a pot of rice water and the cow followed her out of pure curiosity. That evening I wrote about the cow. The words came by themselves. No one had taught me how to describe a stubborn animal or a woman’s patience. The story was there; the writing followed.”

Gopal closed his notebook slowly.

“But without technique,” he said, “how does one begin?”

Srinivas pointed again to the street. “Begin with what is already moving. The vendor’s voice, the boys’ quarrel, the crow’s stare. If something in you answers, the rest will arrange itself. If nothing answers, no amount of rules will help.”

That afternoon Gopal walked about Lalgudi without his notebook. He watched a barber arguing with a customer over the price of a shave, listened to two old women discussing the price of rice, and stood for a long time outside the railway station where a family waited for a train that was three hours late. In the evening he returned to Kabilan Street and sat once more on the veranda.

He did not open the notebook. He simply began to speak of the things he had seen. Srinivas listened, occasionally nodding, occasionally smiling. When Gopal finished, the older man said only, “Now write it down, if you wish. Or do not write it. The song is already there.”

Gopal stayed in Lalgudi for another week. He wrote nothing that looked like a proper story. Yet when he left, the notebook was no longer empty. And Srinivas, sitting alone again on his veranda, watched the street with the same quiet attention, as if the whole world were still arriving, one ordinary moment at a time.