Search This Blog

Athens and Acropolis!

 In the quiet town of Lalgudi, where the same neem trees cast their shade each day and the Kollidam river flowed past the same familiar banks, young Krishnan had begun to feel a restless longing for somewhere else. He had seen pictures of grand cities and famous monuments in his schoolbooks, and he often found himself thinking, “If only I could go there, everything would feel different and better.” The ordinary sights of home seemed too small to satisfy him.


One evening on the terrace he spoke of this yearning to Uncle Venkatesh.


“Uncle, I keep wishing I could see great places far away. I feel that if I were somewhere else, my mind would be happier and clearer.”


Uncle Venkatesh opened a volume of  Epictetus' Enchiridion and read a short passage:


“O, when shall I see Athens and its Acropolis again? Be content with the daily sights that meet your eyes. Behold the sun, the moon, the stars, the outspread earth and sea. Contemplate the God who administers the Universe. Bear God within you. Ask yourself each day: What did you hear? What did you learn? What have you written down for yourself? Focus on these things day after day.”


He closed the book and added a line from Seneca: “Why do you curse that a change of place did not change your mood, when you have carried yourself with you?”


Krishnan sat quietly, looking out at the familiar evening sky.


“The teachers are saying,” his uncle explained, “that the mind carries its own weather wherever it goes. A change of place rarely changes the inner state, because we take ourselves along. Instead of longing for distant wonders, learn to be content with the great sights that are already before you every day—the sun and moon, the wide earth, the moving water. Contemplate the order that holds the whole world together. Carry that awareness within. And each evening ask what you have truly heard, learned, and written down for your own guidance. Do this day after day, and the need for distant places grows quieter.”


The next morning Krishnan began the practice. As he walked to school he looked deliberately at the rising sun, the open sky, and the stretch of road and fields. He reminded himself that these were not small things. In the evening he sat for a few minutes and asked the three questions: What did I hear today that was worth remembering? What did I learn? What have I written down for myself? He noted a single clear sentence in his notebook before sleep.


At first the old longing still returned—pictures of far-off cities and grand monuments rose in his mind and made Lalgudi seem dull. Yet each time he returned to the daily sights and the simple evening questions, the restlessness loosened a little. He began to notice how the light changed on the river, how the stars appeared in their familiar places, and how the same earth supported every step he took. The vastness he had sought elsewhere was already present.


He also noticed that when his mood was troubled, the trouble came with him whether he sat at home or walked farther away. The place did not create the mood; he carried it.


Weeks later he sat again with Uncle Venkatesh as the sky turned deep blue.


“Uncle,” Krishnan said, “I still sometimes wish for distant places. But I am learning to be content with the sights that meet my eyes each day. When I look at the sun and the open world, and when I ask myself what I have heard and learned, the need to escape grows smaller. I understand now that I carry myself wherever I go. Changing the place will not change the mind unless the mind itself learns to rest.”


Uncle Venkatesh smiled. “That is the practical wisdom of Epictetus and Seneca. The Acropolis is splendid, yet the daily sky above Lalgudi is no less a wonder when truly seen. Keep the practice. Behold what is already before you. Contemplate the order of things. Bear that awareness within. Review each day what you have taken in. In time the soul becomes at home wherever it stands.”


In the soft dusk of Lalgudi, while many still dreamed of distant cities as the cure for restlessness, young Krishnan walked home with a quieter heart. He had begun to meet the ordinary sights of sun, earth, and river with fresh attention, and to end each day with three simple questions. And in that steady daily practice, he discovered that the vastness he had sought elsewhere was already present—and that the mind, once taught to rest in what is, no longer needed to flee from itself.