Skip to main content

Getting an MBA !



(Prologue: this is an autobiographical account of my journey towards getting a management diploma …I have a  WARNING for the readers ,though…  This article is definitely not for weak hearts..I am referring to the studious folks . Also, as with any autobiographical account, the narration is utterly biased… if you can live with these truisms, read on at your own risk…)


I will blame it on my Father; he has this habit of asking the right questions at exactly wrong times…one such favorite question of him to me is : “Son, have you arrived in Life, yet?”  So, after my twelfth  standard, I presumed that getting an engineering degree would help me arrive! I struggled to get through my Engineering course. With a lot of huff and puff, I passed the course and I  had thought I arrived,only to find that my friends were joining Ivy League and I was, roaming the streets of Chennai with an 1-page resume on hand.

After the luck ran out, , I thought a masters degree in engineering would help me arrive on the scene! With a lot of struggle for 2 years…lo behold ! I now had a masters degree in engineering now…I checked with my father…he nodded his head sideways ….I had still not yet arrived!
And then I sneaked into the corporate world in, due to what must have been the biggest hiring fiasco committed by the HR manager…. My struggle to climb through the corporate ladder is nothing to speak about..there was no place for me to land my foot or hand in the Ladder! …. I looked around in  Linkedin and Facebook…I was left gasping… My college friend who had a world-record for arrears and collected 3 mark-sheets every semester , was smiling with his LandRover in Facebook page …Need I have to ask my father ?

And then someone whom I considered to be my mentor asked me : “Have you thought of an MBA yet?…you gotta to do it , if you need to arrive in Life!” Now I was excited that I got a tangible way to arrive in life…

So then I stumbled upon the MBA program from the most premier institute in Bangalore…only issue is they don’t offer an MBA …instead they called it a post-graduate diploma…I consoled by asking myself “What’s is in a name?” A rose by any name should smell as sweet…So, I went into one of their Open-house sessions about the program to check if they were indeed selling a Rose… The marketing person was smart and read my mind and said…”If you do this course, you are bound to arrive”

I was floored, literally… not by the marketing person’s words of wisdom…but by  the program fee…It was a part-time program and they were charging a bomb! …As I asked for the price break-up…he just said …”We don’t discuss price here…because we deliver value” (you can tweet this quote)…that’s the first management gyan I got from the institute …I immediately took out my pocket notebook and made a note of it. I was impressed by the quote even though the fee amount was depressing…anyway this arrival thing was bothering my mind so much that I decided to join the course!

So I joined in….And the first thing that blew me away was …Quality of professors that the institute has! …They teach yoga , philosophical discourse on life and if time permits …some management models as well !
I group the professors of this institute into 3 typologies…(permit me to use some MBA jargon here)
The first type of professor is whom I call an Yogi…: These professors observe that the students of this part-time course do not have time to sleep and make up for it in the class hours…so they begin the class with meditation….and by the way,  ….the yoga fee is included somewhere in the fine-print in the tuition fees.

The second group of Profs, are Philosophers…they really teach us the nectar, the essence of life…the core message of all is “ All Management frameworks are useless”… I wonder, how come I did not stumble upon any one of these Profs. during the open house sessions…

The third group of professors are the Shakers, whose face reads as: “Folks , I am going to shake the hell out of you ” …these are the ones that teach the management frameworks…and they demand what is called class participation(CP) …CP used to scare me so much that I used to prepare for class participation (CP) …until one day, in the MPPO class as the professor asked a question on Robert Cialdini’s Influencing techniques , I started reeling out the 4Ps of marketing management. That was the end of my class participation…It was a profound realization to me that : Spontaneity was not my middle name.

Then one of professors shared the technique of private CP…although I consider it proprietary , I am sharing the art of private CP here for the benefit of larger population .Private CP works like this :  right after the professor’s class, you gently hustle the professor to Prabhakar’s tea stall and engage in a small talk with the professor over a cup of  chai and samosa …this is a kind of reverse psychological ploy on the Prof,. I suggest you do it three to four times over the Quarter…In the end, the Prof. cannot avoid  handing over a decent grade for you on the CP…. because , what you are using here is in fact ,Robert Cialdini’s key influencing principle of Reciprocity …(Oh my goodness…finally, I managed to find one management framework that works in real life!)

Now comes , the most dreaded part of the PG diploma program….the Exams ; Even though the strategic stakes are low, I was amazed by the Intense Rivalry among the competition displayed by my classmates  on the Exam day …(I stole the line right out of my competitive strategy class notes…). For the uninitiated , an equivalent of this in High Jump world will be like this : Judge draws a line in the sand and asks the competitors to cross over the line…however the competitors (my esteemed classmates especially DML folks) use Fosbury Flop to cross the line ,unnecessarily raising the bar for the rest of the class..

Needless to say, Exams send shiver down my spine! and the exam results made me look average….below average to be precise. How precise ? …If I were to write a novel on my MBA course, my title would be “Two Point Someone”. The toppers in the class get into what is called a Director’s Merit List …shortly known as DML…I belong to what is called a DDML…Disjoint set of Director’s merit list…I have to admit that  my ego cleansing happened due to the exam results…
To set things straight and be back in order, I approached the topper of the Class on how to score better in exams. The Class topper, being a nice,soft-spoken and gentle person ,leaned on to the whiteboard and started drawing three circles and called it “Augmented Experiential Learning framework” (refer exhibit 1 below).
   


I will let you figure out whatever the exhibit means for you..but for me…(I am at loss of words here and I have to admit that I am getting a bit emotional here) … it was both tears of joy and sorrow. Tears of joy, because, I realized what was missing in my exam papers…Tears of Sorrow, because, it was too much to expect from myself to raise to such high standards …So, I did my own 3-circles to describe my learning framework  (exhibit 2) . 

 


I have stuck to my learning framework ever since and needless to say, so too have my grades,struggling to take-off. Nevertheless, I have a blunt message to the SAC President…”You got to reward and recognize the members of the DDML as well in the PEHEL event” …I have a sound reason backed by Quant …It gets a bit technical here, but I guess you will allow me to prove my point …(refer exhibit 3)…Without us, the DDML folks of the class, the mean score would have shifted to the right and all of DML who are in the right-tail would  end up becoming “stuck-in-the-middle”. 

 

 
After all this ordeal, and as I am nearing the end of the course,  my wife asked me a pertinent question.. “what is your ROI of doing this course?”…I was flabbergasted, to say the least….I tried to show my bunch of pocket notebooks filled with corporate gyan and display my inner transformation (whatever that might mean!)….Her facial expressions suggested that she is not impressed.. Since emotions did not work, I tried to become analytical and convince her with my economics knowledge ….. “Honey, every infant born in India is welcomed by Indian government with a $100 debt on  head! …similarly every MBA graduate of the institute is given a send-off by the Banker (who looks like a Bouncer at the Biere Club), waving the education loan bond vigorously and reminding the student of his debt  …So nobody, and I reiterate…nobody ,not even the HNIs of the Class,  get out of here with positive net-worth!”


Epilogue : I graduated on 20th March 2017…After that, I had an appointment with my father...I did not have the guts to ask him if I had arrived !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to live on 24 hours a day

Arnold Bennett was a prolific author in the early 20th Century. I read his book "How to live on 24 hours a day" He explains his process in his book : that resulted him in being a prolific author: following are the learning: even in the busiest week, find 7-1/2 hours of time beyond the work ; Focus those 7-1/2 hours on thinking Time practice honest self-reflection using the below questions: what do want for yourself? what motivates you? what scares you? what embarrasses you? What are you proud of? What beliefs do you have that might be wrong? Are you caring for yourself or harsh with yourself? Authors Arnold Bennett      

Repeat the Basics!

When you repeat the basics You don't only become great - you will stay great! -Darius Foroux Repeat 🔂 the basics of many things in your Life: 1. Fitness - Walking  2. Philosophy - read your favorite Author - everyday! 3. Kindness - random act of giving  4. Business -  What is the purpose of business? 5. Writing  -  Read the "The Elements of Style - Strunk & White"  Its very simple : Figure out the basics of the given field : 5-6 principles And repeat them day after day Back to the Basics! If you do so , you will lead a life with chronic White-belt mentality 😅 leading to Humility  even if your performance is that of a Master Black-belt! If you do so,  you not only become an expert of the field you will stay as one!

Focus

  Focus on 30 minutes at a time on a given topic with concentration The Human Machine Arnold Bennett My Habits: 30 minutes of walking 30 minutes of reading 30 minutes of Yoga 30 minutes of reflection 30 minutes of focus on each task -with concentration Say to your brain - FROM 9:AM TO 9:30 AM THIS MORNING YOU MUST DWELL WITHOUT CEASING ON A PARTICULAR TOPIC THAT I WILL GIVE YOU Authors Arnold Bennett